- The School of Nursing at WIU offers a Bachelor of Science in Nursing (BSN) degree for pre-licensure nursing pupils as well as individuals who are licensed to practice nursing (RN). The student-centered approach promotes extremely active learning and also skill acquisition. We provide programs of the best quality, using revolutionary teaching/learning modalities.
- Following graduation, the pre-licensure graduate will take the NCLEX to become a registered nurse.
- The faculty concentrates on teaching, research, and also practice to make sure that every graduate is well equipped to pursue his/her personal career objectives. The nursing training program is certified by the Commission on Collegiate Nursing Education. Following a thorough review process to make sure they meet the highest standards for nursing education, the training program is well organized and supported to make sure you receive an excellent education and also become an outstanding nurse.
About the school
- Western Illinois University is a public institution situated in Macomb, Illinois, United States of America. It was established in 1899 as Western Illinois State Normal School.
- Western Illinois College consists of 4 academic colleges: Arts & Sciences, Education & Human Services, Business & Technology, and Fine Arts & Communication, in addition to an Honors College the School of Extended Studies, which comprises ofnontraditional programs.
Total estimated cost of attendance is approximately $23,005
Following are the minimum requirements for BSN Nursing Program. Minimum admission standards include:
The Pre-nursing program is for students who need to meet general education requirements and nursing support course requirements in preparation for application to the Pre-Licensure BSN program.
- Admission to the Pre-Licensure BSN Program
- Have a complete application on file with NursingCAS by selecting Western Illinois University Nursing no later than the date due.
- Have a minimum cumulative GPA of 3.0.
- Have a minimum nursing support course GPA of 3.0 on a 4.0 scale with a grade of C+ (2.33) or better.
- Submit an official transcript with the Application for Admission. Failure to submit all post-secondary transcripts will result in a denial of admission.
- Secure letters of reference from two (2) professional references: one academic (i.e., instructor or professor) and one employer (i.e., supervisor). If there has been no employment, students may submit letters from two instructors/professors.
- Provide documentation to Certified Background Check that all health and safety requirements for the School of Nursing have been met by date due.(Students are responsible for all costs incurred for admission as well as ongoing safety requirements.)
- Criminal Background Check – All applicants are required to submit a criminal background check
- Drug Screen – All applicants are required to be drug tested on admission with random drug screens thereafter. Applicants with a felony conviction or a positive drug screen may be denied entry into the clinical facility for clinical practice.
This program is highly competitive. Meeting or exceeding the minimum requirements does not guarantee admission.
Pre-Licensure BSN Program
The Pre-licensure BSN is for students who have completed the pre-nursing requirements and met all other requirements necessary for admittance to the Nursing Degree Program.
All students seeking the Bachelor of Science in Nursing must complete requirements 1-4.
- University General Education curriculum- 45 s.h.
- CHEM 101, 102; FCS 109; PHIL 120; PSY 100; SOC 100; STAT 171
- Core Courses- 17 s.h.
- NURS 302, 312, 316#, 408†, 415, 461
- Emphasis of Study
- Pre-licensure Program
- NURS 305, 309, 310, 322, 326, 327, 328, 410, 422, 424, 425, 428 45 s.h.
- Select one course from: NURS 379, 430, 431, 432, 433, 434, 436, 438, or 440 3 s.h.
- Other Requirements 15 s.h.
- FCS 121; MICR 200; ZOOL 330, 331
Address: 1 University Cir, Macomb, IL 61455
Submit your review