- Students pursuing the baccalaureate degree in Nursing Science are provided both the theory and also clinical base to evaluate, plan, implement, and also assess health care to satisfy the needs of persons, families, groups, and also communities.
- There are 2 Nursing Science options: the Pre licensure Student option along with the Registered Nurse (RN) option.
- To be able to advance within the clinical nursing major, students must obtain an acceptable grade (C or higher or P) in all Nursing courses.
About the school
- The University of Alaska Anchorage (shortened as UAA) is a public research institution situated in Anchorage, Alaska, United States. The University of Alaska Anchorage also administers four community campuses stretch across Southcentral Alaska.
- They include Kenai Peninsula College, Matanuska–Susitna College, Kodiak College, and also Prince William Sound College. Between the community campuses along with the primary Anchorage campus, more than 20,000 undergraduate, graduate, and also professional students are presently enlisted at The University of Alaska
- The University of Alaska Anchorage tracks its roots back to 1954, five-years before Alaska became the 49th state in the U.S.
Total estimated cost of attendance is approximate $23,160
Following are the minimum requirements for BSN Nursing Program. Minimum admission standards include:
Students who apply to the baccalaureate nursing major and who qualify for admissions to UAA at the baccalaureate level are admitted as pre-nursing majors. Admission as a pre-nursing major does not guarantee admission to the nursing program. There are a limited number of seats available in each nursing course. Students must apply for admission to the nursing major during the semester in which they are completing the final prerequisites for the first nursing courses. Preference will be given to residents of the state of Alaska as defined by the university’s policy on residency for tuition purposes. Applications must be submitted prior to October 1. The baccalaureate program will accept between 60 and 120 students each year. The School of Nursing strongly recommends that students submit their university application up to six months prior to the School of Nursing deadline to ensure complete processing of the application and transcript evaluation. The process for advancement to the major and the formal admission to the nursing major are:
- Satisfy the Application and Admission Requirements for Baccalaureate Programs.
- Gain admission to the pre-nursing major with transcript evaluations (if any) from Enrollment Services.
- Attend a group advising session and follow-up advising sessions with a School of Nursing advisor. Call 907-786-4560 for pre-recorded information on group advising session.
- Complete specified prerequisite courses with a grade of C or better. Specified prerequisite courses may not be repeated more than once.
- BIOL A111 Human Anatomy and Physiology I 4
- BIOL A112 Human Anatomy and Physiology II 4
- CHEM A103 Survey of Chemistry
- & A103L and Survey of Chemistry Laboratory 4
- CHEM A104 Introduction to Organic Chemistry and Biochemistry
- & A104L and Introduction to Organic Chemistry and Biochemistry Laboratory 4
- ENGL A111 Introduction to Composition * 3
- ENGL A213 Writing in the Social and Natural Sciences 3
- Complete one of the following three reasoning skills courses: 3
- ENGL A120 Critical Thinking
- PHIL A101Introduction to Logic
- PHIL A201Introduction to Philosophy
- Oral communications GER 3
- Humanities or fine arts or social science GER 3
- PSY or SOC course from social science GER list 3
* For students not required to take ENGL A111, another written communication General Education Requirement (GER) course must be completed to total 6 credits. For transfer students, grades from equivalent courses are substituted.
An extracted minimum grade point average (GPA) of 3.00 for courses required for the Bachelor of Science in Nursing Science. The GPA is calculated using grades from all courses required for the nursing major and completed at the time of application to the nursing major.\
- Enrollment in or completion of (a grade of C or higher is required in these courses):
- BIOL A240 Introductory Microbiology for Health Sciences 4
- PSY A150 Lifespan Development 3
- ANTH or ECON course from social science GER list 3
- Two humanities or fine arts or social science GERs 6
Either the reasoning skills requirement or PSY A150 must be completed at the time of application to the baccalaureate major. Students must be enrolled in which ever of these requirements has not been completed.
- Complete the first 34 credits, as outlined in No. 4, and during enrollment in courses outlined in No. 5, meet with a nursing advisor to verify course completion and GPA and complete the application to the nursing major. Call (907) 786-4550 to set up an appointment.
- Complete the pre-admission test.
- Complete the School of Nursing application file by the October 1 deadline.
- School of Nursing Application and Confidential Required Information Form on file in the school.
- Three letters of recommendation.
- A current Plan of Study signed by a School of Nursing advisor on file with the School of Nursing.
- Scores on pre-admission test.
- Consideration of the application by the Admissions Committee:
- Formal admission to the nursing program is based on the student’s relative standing on the minimum requirements outlined above. October 1 is the deadline for consideration by the Admissions Committee.
- All applicants meeting the criteria described above will then be ranked according to the following three criteria for the admissions process:
- Extracted minimum grade point average
- Extracted science GPA, which includes CHEM A103 and CHEM A104, and BIOL A111 and BIOL A112
- Pre-admission test scores
- Achieve a C or higher in the specified courses for the major that are in progress when admission is sought (See No. 5.), and maintain a minimum 3.00 GPA until the semester of enrollment in beginning nursing courses (NS A204, NS A216, and NS A300).
Address: 3211 Providence Dr, Anchorage, AK 99508
Submit your review
Leave a Reply