- Students at UH Hilo have two training program options to earn the Bachelor of Science degree in Nursing. Option 1 is for the elementary Option 2 is for the coming back R.N. who desires to acquire the Bachelor’s degree (BS).
- Option 1: Students may enter the Basic Bachelor of Science in Nursing training program, whereby two years are spent satisfying UH Hilo General Education and also pre-nursing or pre-core requirements. Nursing courses are introduced in the 3rd year after formal admission into the Nursing training program on a competitive basis.
- Option 2: The R.N. to Bachelor of Science in Nursing training program provides the candidate with the chance for educational and also professional advancement. Pupils may enter the R.N. to B.S.N. training program only if they have an existing Hawaiʻi R.N. license and have been formally admitted into the upper-division nursing training program
About the school
- The University of Hawaiʻi at Hilo or just UH Hilo is a public co-educational institution in Hilo, Hawaiʻi, United States Of America.
- It is among the ten branches of the University of Hawaiʻi system. It was established as Hawaiʻi Vocational College in the year 1941.
Total estimated cost of attendance is approximate $23,150
Following are the minimum requirements for BSN Nursing Program. Minimum admission standards include:
Students qualify for admission to the upper division of the Basic Baccalaureate Nursing program after completing prerequisite courses. Admission is on a competitive, space-available basis.
- Timely submission of UH Hilo Common Application Form for newly entering students or “Change of Program” form for continuing students. (Designate NURH for the major.)
- Timely submission of nursing application form
- A 3.0 cumulative college grade point average (GPA)
- A 2.7 minimum cumulative GPA for all courses listed as a Natural Science degree requirement including NURS 203 General Pharmacology (3) and NURS 348 Human Pathophysiology (3) for the BSN program
- Completion of all college prerequisite courses (Note: Biology, chemistry, NURS 203 General Pharmacology (3) and NURS 348 Human Pathophysiology (3) classes must be passed with a “C” or better grade. Students transferring from outside the UH system must submit course descriptions for all non-nursing courses and course syllabi for nursing courses.)
- Only 16 credits of nursing prerequisite courses can be outstanding with a maximum of 8 credits in the required sciences by the end of the semester prior to application. The following courses are included under sciences:
- BIOL 243-243L Human Anatomy & Physiology I (3), Human Anatomy & Physio I Lab (1)
- BIOL 244-244L Human Anatomy & Physiology II (3), Human Anatomy & Physio II Lab (1)
- BIOL 275-275L Fund Microbiology (3), Microbiology Lab (1)
- CHEM 141 Surv Organ Chem & Biochem (3)
- NURS 348 Human Pathophysiology (3)
- NURS 203 General Pharmacology (3).
- Basic students will take a pre-entry examination and/or admission interview, with students expected to meet minimum performance standards set forth by the program. This is not a requirement for RN/BSN students.
Fall admission only: Applications to the Bachelor of Science in Nursing program must be made by January 15 for Fall entry. Contact the School of Nursing for application forms.
Address: 200 W Kawili St, Hilo, HI 96720
Submit your review
Leave a Reply