The Associate Degree in Nursing Program at Shawnee Community College is designed to offer career mobility for persons who have previously completed a practical nursing program. This special program is intended to prepare the student for the professional practice of registered nursing as defined in the Illinois Nurse Practice Act and attains the requirements for standard schools in Associate Degree Nursing in Illinois.
This program does not keep an open door policy. Admission to the program demands a separate application and admission test. After satisfactory completion of the program, the graduates will be qualified to write the NCLEX-RN Examination.
About the school
Shawnee Community College situated in Ullin, is one of 48, open-admission two-year, colleges of the Illinois Community College System, structured under the Illinois Public Community College Act. Shawnee Community College was established in 1967 as Shawnee College to enable students from Community College District No. 531 the chance to receive a post-secondary education equivalent to university syllabus.
Shawnee Community College has the accreditation of the North Central Association of Colleges and Schools (NCA) to award certificates, associate degrees and diplomas. It received the utmost ten-year accreditation endorsement by the Higher Learning Commission of the NCA during the last re-evaluation through the year 2014.
Shawnee Community College collaborates with universities and area four-year colleges such as Carbondale, Southern Illinois University, Edwardsville, Southern Illinois University, and the Western Illinois University as a part of the Illinois Articulation Initiative (IAI), a statewide transfer accord which ensures general education credits are conveyable among over 100 participating college or universities in Illinois.
The Total Program Cost For In-State Off-Campus Students is $15,390.00 while Out-of-state students are to spend $15,390.00
Following are the minimum requirements for ADN-RN Nursing Program. Minimum admission standards include:
The Associate Degree Nursing Program has specific admission requirements due to enrollment limitations imposed by physical facilities, state requirements and related criteria. All applicants for the Associate Degree Nursing Program will be selected based upon the criteria outlined below:
- The prospective student must obtain an admission packet from the Nursing Department (618-634-3282; 800-481- 2242) or online at www.shawneecc.edu).
- The applicant must submit application materials to the nursing department by the date designated in the admission packet.
- The applicant must demonstrate successful completion of an approved program of Practical Nursing.
- The applicant must successfully complete the admission examination “Test of Essential Academic Skills (TEAS) for Registered Nursing from the Assessment Technologies Institute, LLC (ATI).” (Given in the testing center of the College).
- The applicant must be able to prove physical fitness for the program of study by submitting a completed Shawnee Community College Physical Form.
- Admission to the Associate Degree Nursing Program is conditional pending successful completion of an approved school of Practical Nursing and the Nursing Orientation and Skills Review course (ADN 201), which will be offered in the summer semester prior to entry.
- The applicant must submit to a criminal background check and drug testing after admission into the program.
This ADN program will transfer into various Bachelor of Science Degree in Nursing (BSN) programs. Interested students should seek advisement.
Shawnee Community College
8364 Shawnee College Rd.
Ullin, Il 62992
Submit your review