The nursing programs at Sauk include the Associate Degree in Nursing, the Licensed Practical Nursing program and Hybrid Associate Degree Nursing Program. These programs are selective courses, and students are admitted on a precedence basis with the most qualified students considered first.
Illinois Board of Nursing approves the programs. Upon completion, the graduates receive Associate of Nursing Degree and become fit to sit for the national licensure examination towards becoming professional registered nurses.
About the school
Sauk Valley Community College is a public two-year comprehensive community college founded in 1965 and was developed on the Rock River between the cities of Dixon and Sterling Illinois.
The College offers a collection of career-technical degrees (A.A.S.), transfer degree majors (e.g., A.A., A.S.), and certificates. Sauk offers numerous opportunities for educational growth such as programs in adult education (G.E.D. or E.S.L) and courses in professional and personal enrichment. Sauk’s district includes parts of Lee, Henry, Carroll, Bureau, Ogle, and Whiteside counties. The College has experienced a long history of unbroken regional accreditation with the Higher Learning Commission.
The College’s recent (from 2016) mission is, “Sauk Valley Community College is devoted to training and scholarship while engaging the community in public service, lifelong learning, and economic development.”
Total program cost for In-state residents is $10,694.00 while out-of-state residents are to spend $23,652.00 on tuition and fees.
Following are the minimum requirements for ADN-RN Nursing Program. Minimum admission standards include:
All students interested in any nursing program at SVCC must satisfy the following criteria:
- Complete SVCC admission and placement process.
- Attend one General Nursing Information Meeting.
- Active CNA certificate on file with IDPH with verification of work history, or documentation of successful completion of a state approved CNA program within the last 2 years. CNA work history verification can be documented via: tax records, payment stub, IDPH registry (if clinical updates are present) or a letter from the employer. (Advanced Placement students – LPN license is applicable for this requirement.)
- Complete ATI TEAS Test. (Advanced Placement students do not need the TEAS test.)
- Fulfill English/Language Arts requirement by verifying one of the following (The most recent score or grade will be utilized.):
- SVCC English/Language Arts Placement Test : Placed out of reading course using SVCC Placement or ACT writing score or results from another school
- Completed ELA 099 or higher level English course with a grade of “C” or better
- Completed an equivalent course at another college or university with a grade of “C” or higher
- Fufill Mathematics requirement by meeting program specific admission criteria:
- Four semesters of high school algebra or Math 3 with a grade of “C” or better within the last 5 years of when algebra was taken
- Placed into intermediate algebra (MAT 081 or MAT 106)
- Completed beginning algebra (MAT 075) for LPN or intermediate algebra (MAT 081) for ADN program
- Completed equivalent course at another college or university with a grade of “C” or better.
- Schedule an appointment with the SVCC Health Careers Counselor to develop an Application and Progression plan. Academic plans done in PSY 100 are not acceptable.
- File a current application form for the program of interest with the Office of Health Professions.
- Two recommendation forms must be submitted to the Dean of Health Professions before the designated deadline. It is required that the reference be from a professional source, i.e. employer, co-worker, supervisor, instructor, counselor. etc. Letters from family and/or friends will not be evaluated. You must make it clear to your reference that if they list you as a friend it will delay or may deny your application. All letters of recommendation should be mailed directly from the writer to the following address:
Sauk Valley Community College,
Dean of Health Professions,
173 IL Route 2, Dixon, IL 61021.
Sauk Valley Community College
73 IL Rt. 2
Dixon, IL 61021
Submit your review