- Samuel Merritt University BSN training program is a two-year training program that is completed in four semesters. Candidates typically complete their prerequisite courses at other colleges and also universities (including community colleges). Pupils are accepted both in the fall and also spring.
- The Accelerated Bachelor of Science in Nursing training program is a rigorous, 12-month training program designed for pupils who already have a bachelor’s degree in a non-nursing field, who have fulfilled the prerequisites for the nursing training program.
About the school
- Samuel Merritt University, initially Samuel Merritt College, was established in the year 1909 as a hospital school of nursing.
- It is an entirely certified health sciences institution situated on the Summit campus of the Alta Bates Summit Medical Center in Oakland, California, United States. Samuel Merritt offers undergraduate degrees in nursing and also graduate degrees in nursing, physician assistant, occupational therapy, physical therapy, and podiatric medicine.
Total estimated cost of attendance is approximate $45,491
Following are the minimum requirements for BSN Nursing Program. Minimum admission standards include:
Admission to the BSN program is competitive. Applicants are considered for admission based upon the following criteria:
- A minimum of 66 semester/99 quarter units of transferable coursework, including the completion of all pre-requisites with a grade of “C” or better by the time of entry into the program.
- A recommended minimum 3.0 GPA in all pre-requisite coursework.
- Applicants to the Bachelor of Science in Nursing program must have taken a course, and received a grade of “B” or higher, in Algebra at a college or university.
- A recommended minimum 3.0 GPA in the four science pre-requisite courses.
- At least one term with a minimum of 9 semester or 14 quarter units of academic courses completed in the past two years
- Scores on the HESI A2. “Test Scores” below for more information. HESI A2 scores must be available at the time you submit your application for admission. Applicants must submit scores from the following exams: Reading Comprehension, Vocabulary and General Knowledge, Grammar, Math, and Anatomy & Physiology. Additionally, applicants must take the Learning Style and Personality Profile assessments.
- Two letters of reference: one from a faculty member, preferably a math or science instructor, and the other from a health care professional.References from family and friends will not be considered.
- Writing Sample.
- English Composition
- Equivalent to English 1A.
- English Literature/Critical Thinking
- Equivalent to English 1B or 1C; courses in Philosophy are not acceptable.
- Interpersonal Communication
- Courses in public speaking are not acceptable.
- Introduction to Sociology OR Cultural Anthropology
- Biological anthropology is not acceptable
- General Psychology
- Lifespan Developmental Psychology
- Content must cover birth to death
- Fine Arts Theory
- Art history, music appreciation, etc. Painting, piano, etc. are not acceptable.
- Introduction to Philosophy, Ethics or Bioethics
- One course from the above only. Critical Thinking courses are not acceptable.
- S. History
- Any time period.
- Modern World History
- Must be global in perspective and include the period up to the present.
- Diversity/Ethnic Studies
- One course in culture, race or ethnicity. Generally taught in a social science department.
- Humanities elective
- One course in humanities, such as religious studies, foreign language, theory courses in art, music or theatre, or an additional philosophy course.
- Research methods courses are unacceptable.
- Completed within the last 4 years at a college/university. See exceptions below.
- Human Anatomy with Lab
- Human Physiology with Lab
- Chemistry with Lab
- Minimum of 4 semester/6 quarter units.
- Microbiology with Lab
Address: 3100 Telegraph Ave, Oakland, CA 94609
Submit your review