The training program in Nursing is built to provide persons from varied backgrounds with a lifelong dedication to learning the nursing skills and knowledge essential to serve as an associate of the interdisciplinary health-care team. Upon satisfactory completion of the training program, the pupil is qualified to apply for the licensing examination (NCLEX-RN) needed to become a Registered Nurse.
The training program is endorsed by the Virginia State Board of Nursing and certified by the Accreditation Commission for Education in Nursing (ACEN).
Reynolds offers the program in partnership with the health-care agencies and practitioners in the residential areas the college serves and also depends on its community associates to provide clinical education opportunities for its numerous courses.
About The School
- Sargeant Reynolds Community College is a community college in Virginia, United States with three campuses: Downtown Campus in the City of Richmond, Parham Road Campus in Henrico County and also Goochland Campus in the community of Goochland Courthouse. The institution was established in 1972.
Total estimated program cost is USD $12,373
Following are the minimum requirements for ADN-RN Nursing Program. Minimum admission standards include:
- Submission of official high school transcript, GED, or certificate of completion of home schooling transcripts to Central Admissions and Records.
- Completion of one unit of high school biology with a grade of “C” or better; BIO 1 at Reynolds is the high school equivalent course, or provide an acceptable substitute for this requirement.
- Completion of one unit of high school chemistry with a grade of “C” or better; CHM 1 at Reynolds is the high school equivalent course, or provide an acceptable substitute for this requirement.
- Completion of one unit of high school or college algebra with a grade of “C” or better. Applicants who do not have high school algebra with a grade of “C” or above can complete this requirement by passing MTE modules 1 through 6 at Reynolds.
- Completion of Reynolds’ English and mathematics placement tests and all required developmental courses based on the test results. MTE 5 on the math placement test is required. Please see the information titled Placement Test Waivers in the College Catalog for other waiver criteria. For the Fall 2017 admission group only, MTH 126 will be accepted for the MTE 5 requirement.
- Test of English as a Foreign Language (TOEFL iBT).
- Completion of the TOEFL iBT with a standard score of 84 or above and a minimum speaking score of 26 is required for ALL non-native English speakers. Completion of ENG 111 does not satisfy this requirement.
- These scores are based on recommendations from the National Council of State Boards of Nursing for the level of English proficiency required to perform entry-level nursing safely and effectively.
- Any non-native English speakers who do not take the TOEFL iBT and are determined to be unable to understand and speak English at the required proficiency will be dismissed from the nursing program.
- TOEFL iBT scores are valid for up to two years.
- Submission of official college transcripts to Central Admissions and Records for consideration of transfer courses required within the AAS Nursing curriculum. It is the applicant’s responsibility to review transfer courses posted. Transfer courses must match courses offered at Reynolds and have a grade of “C” or above.
- Completion of the Kaplan Nursing Admission Test with a reading score of at least 73 percent, math score of at least 75 percent, a science score of at least 55 percent, and a writing score of at least 52 percent. This application test is free and available through the Reynolds Testing Center. Testing Center dates and times are provided at reynolds.edu/get_started/programs/snah/announcements.aspx. The Kaplan Nurse Admission Test may be repeated once. A two-year interval is required once the test has been taken twice.
- Applications are ranked based on Kaplan admission scores. The required math score is weighted 30 percent; the reading score is weighted 30 percent; the science score is weighted 30 percent; and the writing score is weighted 10 percent.
- Receipt of a “C” grade or better in general education courses taken at Reynolds that meet the Nursing AAS degree’s curriculum requirements.
- Students must have completed 11 credits of general education courses with a grade of “C” or above; BIO 141, ENG 111, SDV 100, and PSY 230.
- Achievement of a curricular GPA of at least 2.5. This grade point average is based on the identified four (4) prerequisite courses (11 credits). Repetition of any of the four courses is included in this GPA calculation.
- Attend a Registered Nurse Information session within six (6) months of applying to the program. These mandatory information sessions are scheduled periodically throughout the semester. Dates, time, and location are provided at reynolds.edu/get_started/programs/snah/announcements.aspx.
- Non-nursing courses must be completed prior to or concurrent with the approved curriculum sequence.
- Once admitted, BIO 142, BIO 150, ENG 112, and a humanities/fine arts elective (CST 229 or PHI 101 or PHI 220 or PHI 225 or PHI 227) must be completed prior to or within the identified semester with the co-requisite nursing courses.
- A minimum grade of “C” is required in each course within the program of study. Students receiving less than “C” in a general education course will be unable to continue in the Nursing program until the grade requirement is met.
TRANSFER OPTIONS: Applicants seeking to transfer into the Nursing AAS program are required to meet all admission requirements. Transfer students from other nursing programs may be accepted on a space available basis.
- The Nursing Student Affairs Sub-committee will review applications for students seeking transfer of nursing courses. Applicants must demonstrate that a nursing course, with corresponding credits, was completed within the previous 12 months.
- Nursing transfer applicants must have a written statement from the dean or director of the nursing program the student is leaving, indicating that they are in good standing and eligible to return to the previous institution.
Reynolds Community College
Address: 1851 Dickinson Rd, Goochland, VA 23063
Submit your review