Pima Community College (PCC) was founded in 1969, Pima Community College is a two-year educational institution of higher education in Pima County, Arizona serving the residents of Tucson city area. It offers traditional and online training for over 144 programs. The initial campus for Pima College was situated at the site which is now the West Campus. Before the campus was launched, classes were offered in various locations around Tucson. From 1971 to the present-day, the college district has grown to provide for the growing educational needs of the Tucson area. The campuses and learning center offers traditional classroom, distance learning, and hands-on learning prospects. There are six campuses throughout the Tucson metropolitan area: Community Campus, Desert Vista Campus, Downtown Campus, East Campus, Northwest campus, West campus and there are also four Learning/Education Centers.
Prima Community College offers associate in applied science (AAS) degree in nursing aimed for completion within two years requiring between 72 and 88 credit hours. The school incorporates the best practices and value high-quality services and programs leading to successful results for students through evidence-based endless improvement practices. The AAS program inspires teamwork and cooperation within the College and with the community. The Accrediting Commission for Education (ACEN) accredits the Program and approved by the Arizona State Board of Nursing.
The estimation fees of the program is $7,567
Applying for Program Admission
- Program prerequisites must be completed as described in Program Requirements with grades and/or assessment scores posted on PCC transcripts before applying to the program.
- Transfer courses earned from another Regionally Accredited Institution are not valid until they have been officially evaluated and grades have been posted on PCC transcripts. An official (sealed) transcript and Student Request for Transcript Evaluation form must be submitted to PCC Student Services Center.
- Students must complete the HESI Admission A2 examination through the PCC Nursing Department. HESI exams are offered monthly. Students must sign up at the Nursing Department in person to schedule the examination. HESI scores may be used for one year for application to the nursing program.
- Once prerequisite coursework is complete, students can complete the Nursing Program Application. The application process requires documentation of volunteerism and employment if the candidate is seeking points for the experience. Please review the Volunteerism Verification Instructions and the Employer Verification Instructions for details. Completed applications are turned in to the nursing office, West Campus, Building D, Room 200.
- Program information is communicated via e-mail, it is imperative to check your e-mail address provided to the West Campus Student Services Center.
- Applicants are selected based upon prerequisite GPA, HESI Admission A2 scores, work experience, and volunteer experience. Selection is decided by Nursing Program faculty and administration using a defined point system. Students are strongly encouraged to apply regardless of the number of points self-calculated.
- Students not selected for admission are encouraged to re-apply the following semester.
- Application deadlines: The application deadline for the Spring semester is September 1. Application deadline for the Fall semester is February 1.
Special Admission – Licensed Practical nurses with work experience, including graduates from Pima’s Center for Training and Development, are eligible to apply for entry into the second year of the Associate Degree Nursing (ADN) Program by completing the prerequisites. If accepted, the student must successfully complete a nine credit transition course (NRS 188/188LB) and meet all admission requirements for entry into the third semester of the Associate Degree Nursing (ADN) Program.
- Program Transfer: Students currently enrolled in another accredited Nursing Program wishing to transfer to Pima should contact the Nursing Department Office at 206-6661.
To participate in the clinical portion of the program, students must:
- Obtain an Arizona Department of Public Safety Fingerprint Clearance Card.
- Pass a urine toxicology screening exam.
- Present proof of immunization and/or immunity for MMR/Varicella/TdaP.
- Show proof of negative TB skin test or negative chest x-ray for TB.
- Maintain health insurance and a current CPR card at the Health Care Provider Level throughout the program.
- Meet the Nursing Technical Standards
- Be flexible with balancing employment, personal and academic schedules and responsibilities.
- Provide own transportation from the College to clinical sites.
Pima Community College
4905 E. Broadway Blvd.
Tucson, AZ 85709-1010
Phone: (520) 206-4500