The objective of the nursing training program at the Oglala Lakota College is to graduate pupils with an Associate Degree (AD) in Nursing and build them to be ready to sit and take the National Council for Licensure Examination (NCLEX) to practice as a Registered Nurse (RN).
The AD Registered Nurse will be able to react with appropriate knowledge and competencies to meet these health-care requirements at an entry level in any organized health-care environment. The AD nurse will be able to assist persons and families in promoting, maintaining and also repairing health. This is achieved within the individual’s cultural structure.
About The School
Oglala Lakota College is a licensed tribal college. Oglala Lakota College has 1,456 pupils enlisted part-time and full-time. Oglala Lakota College serves the Pine Ridge Indian Reservation, which has a population of approximately 26,000 and also covers 3,468 sq-mi in southwestern South Dakota, USA.
Oglala Lakota College is chartered by the Oglala Sioux Tribal Council in the year 1971.
Total estimated program cost is USD $16,550
Following are the minimum requirements for ADN-RN Nursing Program. Minimum admission standards include:
- Complete, signed application form.
- $48.00 application fee. This fee is non-refundable, regardless of what action is taken on the application for admission.
- Three letters of recommendation. These are required from the persons who are not friends or relatives, who are familiar with the applicants academic and/or employment record. Please have recommendations completed on the accompan ying forms.
- Essay-APA format: Write an essay of a minimum of 500 words that incorporates the four Lakota values of: Respect, Wisdom, Courage, Generosity. Include these values in any way you can in your essay as you relate them to aspects of nursing. Answer the following questions: Why have you chosen the Nursing career? What type of nursing interests you? What people have influenced you? What do you hope to do with your nursing degree?
- Certificate of degree of Indian blood if applying to OLC for the first time.
- Official high school transcript or GED Certificate if it is not already on file at OLC.
- Applications and all related documents should be mailed to:
Oglala Lakota College-Department of Nursing
P.O. Box 861
1 Nursing Way
Pine Ridge, SD 57770
- To apply for admission the student must have completed the following courses, or their equivalents, with “C” or better and have an overall GPA of 2.5 or higher. All sciences courses must be passed according to the nursing grading scale (Chem 111/114 and Bio 224), where a “C” is equivalent to 80%.
- 103 Freshmen English I
- Psych 103 General Psychology
- Math 134 Intermediate Algebra
- Chem 111 Chemistry for Life Sciences Lab
- Chem 114 Chemistry for Life Sciences
- Bio 224 Human Anatomy (must be completed within four years of starting the nursing program)
Oglala Lakota College
Address: 3 Mile Creek Rd, Kyle, SD 57752
Submit your review
Leave a Reply