John Wood Community College’s ADN program was ranked among the first ten in the state by PracticalNursing.org in 2014. JWCC’s (NCLEX-PN) pass rate of 97.96% was the major factor used to rank the College’s program 9th among the state’s 43 community colleges that offer programs in nursing. The Associate Degree Program has the accreditation of the Higher Learning Commission.
The Illinois Board of Nursing endorsed the revised Associate Degree of Nursing syllabus in July 2016; this includes a syndicate agreement with the Blessing-Riemann College of Nursing and Allied Health.
About the school
John Wood Community College situated in Quincy, Illinois, is one of the 48, open-admission two-year colleges of the Illinois Community College System structured under the Illinois Public Community College Act.
It was founded in 1974 to offer post-secondary education for residents of Community College District 539. Approved by the Illinois General Assembly and signed by Illinois Governor Otto in 1961, the legislation created the Illinois Board of Higher Education (IBHE) which was charged by statute to formulate a Master Plan for Higher Education in the state of Illinois.
The efforts led to the passage of the Junior College Act of 1965 at the then Illinois General Assembly. However, it was not until the year 1974 that formal steps were taken to establish a community college within the district boundaries.
Affordable Tuition Cost
- $157.00 per semester credit hour for in-district residents amounting to $11,304
- $267.00 per semester credit hour for non-district residents amounting to $19,224
- $187.00 per semester credit hour for all internet courses, regardless of residency.
Following are the minimum requirements for ADN-RN Nursing Program. Minimum admission standards include:
To be considered for admission into the JWCC ADN program, and progress through the nursing program, a student must maintain a minimum cumulative JWCC GPA of 2.7, as well as a 2.7 GPA in required science/support courses (BIO 275, 276, 293; PSY 101 and 233; MAT 109), and a 2.7 GPA in all prerequisite General Education coursework. Coursework may be repeated one time to meet minimum standards.
The following courses must be completed with a C or better prior to the submission of the Nursing Application:
- BIO 101 General Biology (as required by JWCC Life Sciences Department )
- BIO 275 Anatomy & Physiology I*
- PSY 101 Intro to Psych
- ENG 101 Rhetoric & Composition I
The following courses must be completed with a C or better prior to the start date of NUR 108 (Fall Semester, First Year Nursing).
- BIO 276 Anatomy & Physiology II*
- MAT 109 Elementary Statistics*
- PSY 233 Developmental Psychology
The following course must be completed with a C or better prior to the start date of NUR 148 (Spring Semester, First Year Nursing):
- BIO 293 Microbiology*
The following course must be completed with a C or better prior to the start date of NUR 203 (Fall Semester, Second Year):
- CMN 101 Introduction to Speech
* Math and Biology courses must be taken within 10 years of the application date.
In addition to required General Education coursework, applicants will be required to meet one or more of the following:
Incoming students without LPN licensure will be required to complete one of the following:
- ACTComposite score of 22.
- Successfully pass theHESI A-2 Entrance Exam with a 78% composite score, as well as a 78% subscore in math and reading comprehension.
Community LPNs will be required to complete the following:
- Successfully pass theNLN NACE Entrance Exam with a 78% composite score.
- Submit a copy of your current nursing license.
The NLN NACE & HESI A-2 RN Pre-Admissions Exams may be repeated once per calendar year. The applicant is responsible for all testing fees; the testing fee is non-refundable.
Eligibility for admission to the ADN program does not guarantee acceptance. After the initial review of applications, all candidates will receive written notification of their status within the application process by the first Friday in March. Those selected to continue will be provided additional information.
John Wood Community College
1301 S. 48th Street
Quincy, IL 62305
Submit your review