The nursing training program in Hawaiʻi Community College prepares pupils to take the state licensure examination (NCLEX) for registered nurse (RN) with an alternative to taking the practical nursing state licensure examination if they want. Graduates are competent to work in hospitals, long-term care facilities, and community-based settings.
The Associate of Science Degree program demands 4 semesters of course work in nursing (42 credits) and also 30 credits of non-nursing prerequisite as well as co-requisite courses for a total of 72 credits. A grade of “C” or HIGHER is considered passing for all nursing and support courses. A cumulative grade point average of 2.0 or HIGHER must be maintained to stay in the nursing training program. All courses needed for the degree must be taken for a letter grade. The ADN Program is accredited by the Accreditation Commission for Education in Nursing (ACEN) and approved by the Hawai’i State Board of Nursing.
About the school
Hawaiʻi Community College is operated by the University of Hawaii system at 2 campuses, east and also west, of the Island of Hawaiʻi USA.
Total program cost is USD $15,200
Following are the minimum requirements for ADN-RN Nursing Program. Minimum admission standards include:
- Test of Essential Academic Skills (TEAS) test scores. Students must have an adjusted individual score or scaled score at the Proficient or higher level to be considered for admissions.
- Completion of the 27 semester hours of prerequisite courses with a “C” grade or better and a minimum cumulative GPA of 2.0 by the end of the spring semester prior to program entry. Proficiency in reading as evidenced by completion of courses or placement test scores.
- Applicants are selected for admission to the Associate of Science in Nursing Program using a point system based on grades earned, required and in-progress nursing support courses and TEAS scores. Additional points are awarded to applicants who are Licensed Practical Nurses
- Qualified applicants who are deemed as Hawai‘i residents for tuition purposes are considered first for acceptance into the Associate in Science Degree Nursing Program; after which, qualified, non-resident applicants are considered on a space available basis.
- Licensed Practical Nurses who have graduated from a state accredited LPN program, have full-time equivalent employment as an LPN for at least one year, and have experience in an acute or long-term care setting within the past 5 years may be eligible for advanced placement in the Associate of Science nursing program. In order to be considered for advanced placement in the LPN Transition Track, applicants must apply and be accepted into the ADN program and meet all the standard admission requirements. Upon acceptance into the A.S. Nursing program, qualified LPNs will be offered the option of taking the ATI – Fundamentals of Nursing exam. LPNs with a decision score of Level 2 or above on the ATI Exam will be offered the option of bypassing Nursing 153 (Nursing Concepts & Skills – 8 credits) during the first semester of nursing courses. Students in the LPN Transition Track will need to complete all other associate degree nursing courses. LPNs who are accepted into the nursing program and interested in the LPN Transition Track will need to submit a current nursing license and proof of employment.
- Applicants for the nursing program need to be aware of the following regarding clinical agency requirements: Health care students are required to complete University prescribed academic requirements that involve clinical practice in a University affiliated health care facility setting with no substitution allowable. Failure of a student to complete the prescribed clinical practice shall be deemed as not satisfying health care academic program requirements. It is the responsibility of the student to satisfactorily complete affiliated health care facility background checks and drug testing requirements in accordance with procedures and timelines as prescribed by the affiliated health care facility.
Hawaiʻi Community College
Address: 1175 Manono St, Hilo, HI 96720
Leave a Reply