The two-year Associate in Applied Science degree program in Nursing in Germanna Community College is designed to prepare carefully chosen students to qualify as contributing members of the healthcare team, giving direct patient care as beginning practitioners of nursing in a wide range of health service amenities. Upon successful completion of the curriculum, students will be qualified to take the National Council Licensure Examination leading to licensure as a registered nurse (RN).
It is also intended to provide a foundation of general education from which the individual student will develop and grow as a person, citizen, and worker of the community. Students who complete the curriculum successfully are awarded the Associate in Applied Science degree with a major in Nursing.
The Nursing Program is accredited by the Accreditation Commission for Education in Nursing (ACEN) and approved by the Virginia State Board of Nursing.
About The School
Germanna Community College established 1970, is a community college and member of the Virginia Community College System, with campuses located in Locust Grove, Fredericksburg, Stafford, and Culpeper.
Total estimated program cost is USD $12,373
Following are the minimum requirements for ADN-RN Nursing Program. Minimum admission standards include:
- Applicants must have official high school transcripts validating completion of high school or official documentation of GED on file in the Office of Admissions and Records. Applicants must have official college transcripts on file in the Office of Admissions and Records.
- One unit of high school biology with lab, one unit of high school chemistry with lab, and one unit of high school algebra or equivalents with a minimum grade of “C” within five years prior to applying to the nursing program. Equivalents include college BIO 101, CHM 125, and MTE 1, 2, 3, and 4 completed prior to applying to the nursing program.
- Demonstration of successful challenge of Germanna computer competency test (IC3) prior to applying to the nursing program or college computer literacy skills course completed within five years prior to applying to the nursing program.
- Completion of placement tests with scores showing readiness for college-level reading, writing, and math courses. Applicants with previous college courses may be exempt from the placement tests.
- Pre-admission nursing tests of essential academic skills taken at Germanna are required. Scores on the preadmission nursing tests are expected to be at least at the 45th program percentile in all four areas (Math, Science, English and Reading) for admission to the nursing program. Preadmission nursing test scores are accepted if completed within three years prior to applying to the nursing program. Applicant is responsible for cost of preadmission nursing tests. Advanced Standing (LPN to RN) applicants are exempt from preadmission nursing tests if prerequisites of biology, chemistry, and algebra or equivalents have been completed with a minimum grade of “C” within five years prior to applying to the nursing program.
- A 2.5 cumulative average in academic work is required.
- The application process includes receipt of a completed College application, official transcripts of all secondary and postsecondary courses attempted or completed, and a completed request for transcript analyses form by the Office of Admissions and Records. Applicants are to submit the completed Nursing Program application, transcripts, and a copy of their preadmission nursing test scores to the Nursing Office or via the online portal. Applicants must subscribe to an on-line criminal history report. Evidence of a criminal history report must be submitted for review with the nursing application. Applicants are responsible for fees associated with this report. Applicants who have committed a felony/misdemeanor may not be offered admission. A Board of Nursing may deny any application for licensure if the applicant has committed a felony/misdemeanor under laws of the Commonwealth of Virginia or of the United States.
- Applicants must have signed student/advisor worksheets on file in the Nursing Office prior to applying to the nursing program. Copies of the worksheet may be downloaded from http://www.germanna.edu/nursing-health-technologies/
- Requirements for admission into the nursing program are specific and admission is selective and competitive.
- The number of credits completed in the Allied Healthcare Preparation Career Study Certificate (Pre-nursing) or its equivalent will be noted in the application process.
- Residents of Germanna’s service region (Caroline, Culpeper, King George, Madison, Orange, Spotsylvania, Stafford, and the City of Fredericksburg) will be offered priority consideration for offers of admission.
- Applicants with GPAs higher than 2.5 will receive priority consideration for offers of admission.
- Applicants are expected to have earned “C” or better in all courses in the Allied Health Care Preparation Career Study Certificate or equivalent courses. Nursing students must earn at least “C” in the NUR major courses to remain in the program. The minimum passing grade is 80 (C) in the nursing program.
*Applications for the AAS nursing program are due by April 1 and November 1. Applications for advanced standing of LPNs into the AAS nursing program are due by April 1 and November 1.
Germanna Community College
Address: 10000 Germanna Point Dr, Fredericksburg, VA 22408
Phone: (540) 891-3000
Submit your review