Gavilan College (initially San Benito County Junior College) is a community college situated in Gilroy, California, USA.
The college was founded in 1919 as the San Benito County Junior College. It functioned as such until 1963, when a new community college district was engineered that integrated both San Benito County and southern Santa Clara County. The college relocated to its Current major campus in 1968.
The Registered Nurse training program in Gavilan College is available to students that are qualified to take the National Council Licensure Examination- Registered Nurse (NCLEX-RN) or are Licensed Vocational Nurses only.
After successful completion of the Registered Nursing program and passing the National Council Licensure Examination, students will have job entry skills for registered nurse (RN). The Associate degree in Registered Nursing demands completion of the Allied Health clinical courses outlined plus general education requirements. Students are then eligible for a Certificate of Achievement in Registered Nursing and an Associate of Science degree (ADN).
Program Learning Outcomes:
After completing this degree or certificate, students are able to:
- Sit and pass the licensure examination.
- Operate within the scope of practice of the registered nurse
- As defined by the California Board of Registered Nursing practice within experienced and legal standards, ethical Principles and also demonstrate a level of sensitivity to the cultural differences of clients.
- Apply concepts of oral, written and verbal communication to
- Convey relevant, correct and complete information.
- Demonstrate a competency to practice safely.
- Apply the nursing procedure by assessing, planning, implementing and analyzing nursing care and teaching the maintenance of health and prevention of disease.
Total program cost is USD $8,890
Following are the minimum requirements for ADN-RN Nursing Program. Minimum admission standards include:
- Complete application with signature
- Photocopy of current CNA card for LVN program and current LVN card for RN program or transcript with course (s) in progress
- Intravenous and blood withdrawal certification (for RN program applicants) from the BVN-PT
- Current BLS Provider (previously known as the Healthcare Provider course) card from the American Heart Association
- Health Statement with physician clearance (form will be included with application)
- High School graduate or equivalent. Requirement can be fulfilled by submitting official final high school transcript, GED certificate or college/university transcript with posted awarded degree.
- Official college/university transcripts.
- Entrance Exam: minimum 70 composite score on the HESI or 62 composite score on the ATI TEAS. Gavilan will administer the entrance exam to qualifying applicants after nursing applications have been received and reviewed.
- Grade point average of 2.5 or higher in specified prerequisite courses for LVN program and RN program.
- The courses below are required to apply to the RN program. Minimum grade of “C” in all courses.
- AH/BIO 8* General Microbiology
- AH/BIO 9* Human Physiology
- ENGL 1A Composition
- CMUN 1A* Introduction to Public Speaking
- SOC 1A* Introduction to Sociology
- MATH Intermediate Algebra
- AH 51* Medical-Surgical Nursing
- AH 52* Medical-Surgical Nursing
- AH 53* Medical-Surgical Nursing/Maternal Neonatal Nursing
- AH 54* Medical-Surgical Nursing/Pediatric Nursing
- AH 16 Intravenous Therapy/Blood Withdrawal
Address: 5055 Santa Teresa Blvd, Gilroy, CA 95020
Submit your review