Students are accepted into the Albany track 3 times annually: Fall, spring, and summer semesters. Classes are conducted at Darton State College. Clinical experiences (studying patient care in the hospital) are conducted at Phoebe Putney Memorial Hospital and other amenities in the vicinity as needed.
All pupils in the Darton State College nursing training program must have health insurance. Pupils who do not possess health insurance must purchase a USG student health insurance policy (SHIP). Charges for the USG SHIP will be included in student tuition every semester. Pupils who are already covered by an insurance policy (i.e.,. through family plans, parent plans or employer/sponsored plans) can easily opt out of the plan by applying for a waiver through a protected on-line process. Once the information has been confirmed and also accepted, a waiver will be processed and published to the student’s Darton State College student account. The waiver is only available for a certain time frame; for that reason, students must apply in a timely fashion, or they will be charged for the USG student health insurance policy.
Students who fail to submit credible health insurance and opt out online will automatically be enlisted and as well billed for the system-wide student health insurance plan. This fee will publish to the Darton State College student account. Professional liability insurance is also needed and is included in pupil fees.
About the school
Darton State College (now called The Darton College of Health Professions at Albany State University) is 2 years state college unit of the University System of Georgia, situated in Albany, Dougherty Region, Georgia, United States Of America. Before consolidation, the college had eighty-four 2 years transfer and also career associate degrees and forty-nine certificate programs.
The institution was established as Albany Junior College in the year 1963 and also offered its very first classes in 1966. In 1987, a committee of faculty, students, staff and community members picked the name Darton College. “Darton” is an ancient English word possibly meaning “town by the (River) Dearne,” which describes Albany’s place on the Flint River. In November of 2015, the Board of Regents of the University System of Georgia, USA publicized the consolidation of Albany State University and Darton State College. The board as well appointed Dr. Arthur Dunning as President of the Institution. The newly merged institutions assumed the name and also branding of Albany State University and enrolled around 9,000 pupils. The University is the biggest HBCU in the state of Georgia and among the largest in the country as of January 1, 2017.
The 186-acre campus on Albany’s western edge includes a 470 seat theater, fitness center, computer labs, library, and sports facilities such as tennis and racquetball courts, indoor bowling alley and climbing wall, indoor swimming pool, with surrounding nature trails, ball fields, soccer fields, and also pecan trees. Albany State University and Darton State College have formally consolidated.
Total program cost is USD $14,850
Following are the minimum requirements for ADN-RN Nursing Program. Minimum admission standards include:
- ASN applicants must have completed required Learning Support courses.
- ASN applicants must complete the pre-admission test [the Test of Essential Academic Skills (TEAS) V] and must earn a minimum overall score of 65. And will not take the TEAS test more than twice in a calendar year. Applicants who do not meet the minimum TEAS score (or grade point average) will not be allowed to apply.
- ASN applicants must have a GPA of 2.8 with a minimum of 3-5 of the core classes.
The 3-5 core classes include Human Anatomy and Physiology I and II, English 1101,
and Math 1001 / Math 1111 or higher.
- Only core courses required for the associate degree nursing program will be used to calculate the grade point average. Grades achieved in each attempt will be used in the calculation of this grade point average.
- Students must have a grade of “C” or better in all nursing core courses.
- Grades in core courses applicable to the nursing program older than ten years may not be calculated in the admission GPA.
- When faculty/student ratio limits the acceptance of all qualified students, preference may be given to students with the highest GPA and nursing pre-admission test score , and who have completed all required core classes. In addition, other factors may contribute to acceptance/denial in situations where the admission criteria are highly competitive (such as previous nursing attempts, etc.)
- Applicants formerly enrolled in a nursing program may apply; however, they must submit a letter from the dean/director of their former program verifying the student left his/her program in good standing. Applicants who earned less than a “C” in two or more nursing courses while enrolled in a previous nursing program must wait a period of three calendar years before they will be considered for admission to Darton State College’s nursing program. If accepted to Darton’s program no transfer credit will be given for prior nursing courses.
- Science courses taken more than five years prior to enrolling in the nursing program will be evaluated by the Nursing Department Dean.
- BIOL 2115K will not have to be repeated.
- All Biology 2111K and 2112K will need to be repeated if greater than five years if person is not an active healthcare professional (LPN or Paramedic). Active healthcare professional students (LPNs or Paramedics) may elect to take both of these courses or BIOL 2112K as a refresher to meet the science requirements.
- Students in active healthcare practice do not need to re-take the sciences unless it has been eight years or more since the courses were completed.
Darton State College
Address: 2400 Gillionville Rd, Albany, GA 31707
Phone: +1 229-317-6000
Deddeh Dorley says
I am Deddeh Dorley, I possess a Bachelor Degree in Psychology class 2013. In addition, I am currently a student at Rasmussen Community College pursuing an Associate Degree in Nursing and would like transfer to your institution. Please, I would appreciate if you were to inform me about the transfer requirements. Finally, I would like to know if my credit from my previous school as well as my current school will be accepted.