The A.D. training program, offered at five college locations, including one at California University of Pennsylvania, grooms pupils to apply for the NCLEX-RN examination and to get into an entry-level role as a registered nurse (RN). Training program learning experiences set up graduates for professional nursing practices as outlined and also delineated by the Pennsylvania State Board of Nursing.
The training program includes courses in liberal arts and also selected sciences, and also nursing. An advanced placement alternative is available to licensed practical nurses (LPNs) and to those with previous nursing school experience who satisfy certain requirement.
The training program endorsed by the Pennsylvania State Board of Nursing and the Accreditation Commission for Education in Nursing (ACEN).
About the school
Community College of Allegheny County is a community college in the Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania area, United States. With four campuses and also four centers, the institution offers associate’s degrees (AD), certificate and diploma programs. The institution started Boyce Campus, in Monroeville, and also Allegheny Campus, on Pittsburgh’s North Side, in the year 1966. The subsequent year, South Campus was unveiled; North Campus started in the year 1972. The institution also has centers, beyond the primary campuses, that offer classes.
Total estimated program cost is USD $15,990
Following are the minimum requirements for ADN-RN Nursing Program. Minimum admission standards include:
All prerequisites must be met successfully prior to the application deadline for the semester in which the student is applying. Coursework that has not been completed by the application deadline will not be considered during the evaluation process.
Biology – Applicants must have completed a COLLEGE LEVEL biology/lab course with a grade of “C” or better prior to applying to the nursing program.
- Completing BIO-110 or another acceptable biology course with a grade of “C” or better. Students should verify if a course is acceptable with the advising and registration offices.
- AP Biology/lab course with a grade of “C” or better AND a score of 3 or higher on the College Board exam.
- CCAC Biology Waiver Exam – Minimum score of 70.
Chemistry – Applicants must have completed chemistry/lab course with a grade of “C” or better prior to applying to the nursing program.
- High school chemistry courses may only be used in the absence of a college level chemistry course.
- If the student has completed a college level chemistry at any time after high school, the college level chemistry grade will be used for review. IF this grade is below a “C”, the student must repeat the course PRIOR to applying to the nursing program.
English/Reading – Applicants must be eligible to register for English-101 by the application deadline in order to be considered for admission. Eligibility may be established by any one of the following:
- Having earned a “C” or better in a college level English course at CCAC or another accredited college or university;
- SAT/ ACT* reading scores of 510/21, respectively AND having achieved the requisite score on CCAC’s writing placement test;
- Having completed all prescribed developmental English and Reading coursework with a grade or “C” or better. This includes ESL reading, writing and grammar;
- Satisfactory CLEP* exam score
*Please note that SAT/ACT and CLEP exam scores must be submitted to the college prior to the application deadline order to be used in the nursing program evaluation process.
Mathematics – Applicants must be eligible to register for MAT-108 -Intermediate Algebra or MAT-106 – Mathematics for Health Science in order to be considered for admission. Eligibility may be established by any one of the following:
- Having completed a college level math course. Please note that mathematics courses are not
- SAT/ACT mathematics scores of 520/21, respectively;
- Having completed all prescribed developmental mathematics coursework with a grade of “C” or better.
LPN – RN Transition: In addition to the aforementioned prerequisites, LPN-RN Transition applicants must ALSO have successfully completed:
- BIO-161 – Anatomy and Physiology 1
- MAT-108 – Intermediate Algebra OR MAT-106 – Mathematics for Health Sciences
- PSY-101 – Introduction to Psychology
All applicants must meet the following GPA requirements:
- A cumulative 2.8 GPA minimum for a student who has earned 12 or more CCAC college level credits at the time of application
- A 2.8 GPA for a student who has not earned 12 or more CCAC credits but has earned 12 or more college level credits at other post-secondary institutions (this GPA will be a composite score representing all institutions attended)
- A 3.0 GPA minimum from the secondary school (high school) for a student who meets all other criteria but has earned less than 12 college level credits at a two- or four-year post-secondary institution(s).
Grades and Attempts
To be considered for admission:
- Students must have earned a “C” grade or better in all prerequisite coursework. Please see “Prerequisites” section above. If a prerequisite course is not successfully completed by the third attempt, the student will not be considered for admission. Attempts include withdrawals and incompletes at all institutions attended.
- If taken prior to application, Anatomy and Physiology 1, Anatomy and Physiology 2, and Microbiology, MUST also have been completed with a “C” grade or better. If a science course is not successfully completed by the third attempt, the student will not be considered for admission. Attempts include withdrawals and incompletes at all institutions attended.
Test of Essential Academic Skills (TEAS)
Beginning with the Fall 2016 admission period, all students applying for entry into NUR-110/120 must pass the Test of Essential Academic Skills (TEAS) with an Adjusted Individual Total Score of 58.7%. The TEAS is a pre-admission exam used throughout the U.S. and Canada designed to determine the readiness of students to enter nursing and allied health fields.
Community College Of Allegheny County
Address: 800 Allegheny Ave, Pittsburgh, PA 15233, USA
Submit your review