Graduate of the Carl Albert State College (CASC) associate in applied science degree nursing training program are nurse generalists who are prepared to take the NCLEX-RN licensure examination and function as registered nurse (RN) in a varied care setting.
The Carl Albert state College division of nursing education is endorsed by the OK board of nursing. The nursing training program is certified by the accreditation commission for education in nursing. The institution also offers advanced track LPN-ADN.
About The School
Carl Albert State College, abbreviated as CASC, is a community college situated in southeastern Oklahoma, United States. Formerly named Poteau Junior College, it was established in 1933, and its name modified to Poteau Community College in the early 1950s.
Total estimated program cost is USD $18,520
Following are the minimum requirements for ADN-RN Nursing Program. Minimum admission standards include:
- ACT composite score- composite score of 19 is required (taken within past 5 years)
- A retention grade point average (GPA) of 2.5 or above on all academic work is required. All courses required for the nursing program must be completed with a minimum grade of “C”
- Reading level- Documentation of a 12th grade reading level is required of all applicants who do not have a college degree. Applicants who ACT reading subtest score is less than 19 will be required to take the Accuplacer Test for reading and achieve a minimum score of 90.
- Math competency- ACT math subtest score of 19 required. Applicants whose ACT math subtest score is less than 19 may meet this requirement by having completed math 0123- Intermediate Algebra or math 1513- college Algebra with a minimum grade of “C”.
- Science Courses Time Limitation
All college level science courses required by the nursing program must have been taken within five (5) years prior to the student’s admission into the nursing program. Courses to which this policy applies are:
- Zoology 2124 Human Anatomy
- Zoology 2114 Human Physiology
- Biology 2155 Microbiology
Licensed Practical Nurse:
- Submit to the Department of Nursing Education a copy of active, license to practice practical nursing, verifying good standing with a State Board of Nursing. There should be no history of disciplinary action taken by the Board of Nursing against the nursing license.
- Submit an official copy of your transcript from the college or vocational school in which you completed your practical nursing education. This transcript is used to determine Admission Points and is in addition to any other academic education transcripts.
- Successfully complete all placement exams administered by the Department of Nursing Education. The placement examinations may be taken only one (1) time for consideration of advanced placement. In the event the applicant does not successfully complete the placement examination for credit in Nursing 1129 – Human Needs I, the student will need to reapply to the program as a Regular student for consideration of entry into the program.. In the event the applicant does not successfully complete the placement examination for credit in Nursing 1219 – Human Needs II, the student will need to enroll in the course for continued progression in the program. This enrollment is contingent upon space available in Nursing 1219.
- Licensed Practical Nurses admitted to the CASC nursing program with advanced standing are required to successfully complete Nursing 1103 – Role Transition for Nursing. In addition, the following general education courses must be completed before the student can progress into Nursing 2110 – Health-Illness Nursing I: English 1113, Psychology 1113, Zoology 2124, Zoology 2114, Allied Health Sciences 1203, Sociology 1113, English 1213, and Biology 2155. Other general education courses that must be completed once admitted to the program include: Political Science 1113, History 1483 or 1493. The five (5) year time limit on science coursework is waived for Licensed Practical Nurses who are actively working as a clinical nurse when entering the nursing program as an advanced placement student.
Carl Albert State College
Address: 1507 S McKenna St, Poteau, OK 74953, USA
Submit your review
Leave a Reply