The two-year nursing program equips individuals for a nursing profession involving the offering of direct client care in healthcare environments such as physician offices, clinics, hospitals, extended care facilities, and the client’s home.
The curriculum includes a perfect blend of nursing and non-nursing courses. Nursing courses are intended to offer learning opportunities for receiving the right nursing knowledge and skill to exercise nursing at the associate degree level.
The Associate Degree Nursing program is endorsed by the West Virginia Board of Examiners for Registered Professional Nurses with the full accreditation by the Accreditation Commission for Education in Nursing, Inc. Upon successful completion, the graduate is qualified to apply to take the National Council Licensure Exam – RN (NCLEX-RN) and subsequently become Registered Nurses.
About the school
Bluefield State College (BSC) is a traditionally black college situated in Bluefield, West Virginia, United States. It is a member of West Virginia’s public education system and offers associate and baccalaureate degrees.
The college is the only non-residential four-year college among the state system; it administers the distinctly accredited New River Community and Technical College, which has classes all over the southeastern part of West Virginia. Instructional programs are offered in business, teacher education, engineering technologies, nursing and health science professions, arts and sciences, and a variety of career fields.
The college is also devoted to offering a wide range of off-campus courses at centers in Lewisburg, Beckley, Summersville, and Welch, West Virginia.
The total tuition cost of the program for in-state students is around $19,200 while out-of-state students are to spend around $38,500
Following are the minimum requirements for ADN-RN Nursing Program. Minimum admission standards include:
Meeting minimum eligibility requirements does not guarantee acceptance into the ASN program. Eligibility requirements for admission to the program include:
- Meet general admission requirements.
- An ACT math main score of 19, better, or eligibility to enter Math 101 by the fall semester of entrance year into the program.
- An overall high-school GPA of 2.8 or better on a 4.0 scale, or a score of 45 on each of the GED exams.
- a. Have completed with a “C” or better one unit of high school algebra, one unit of high school biology and one unit of high school chemistry (ACT/SAT equivalent score of 19 in mathematics will substitute for the algebra course), OR
b. Be enrolled at Bluefield State College or another accredited institution of higher learning prior to application, having completed a minimum of 12 credit hours** and achieving a 2.8 or better GPA. A “C” grade or better is required in each of the following: one mathematics course, one biology course and one introductory chemistry course. (Also required for college students are copies of their high school transcripts and ACT/SAT scores.) **Developmental education courses will not be considered.
- Complete the ATI TEAS admission test with a proficient or higher overall score. Completion of ATI TEAS does not meet all requirements for admissions to the program. ATI TEAS can be taken September 1–January 31 each year. ATI TEAS can be taken twice (there must be 30 days between each attempt). Your score on the ATI TEAS is valid for two academic years. If the TEAS V was taken in the 2015–2016 academic year, a score of proficient or higher will be accepted in place of the ATI TEAS for one year.
- Completion of Health 100, with a “C” or better, prior to admission to the program is highly recommended.
- Applicants exceeding these academic standards and course requirements will be given first priority.
Bluefield State College
219 Rock Street Bluefield, WV 24701-2198
Submit your review