- To become a nurse who puts clients’ (patient’s’) needs at the forefront, you need a nursing training program that prioritizes your skills, understanding, and also experience. They lay a rich foundation of liberal arts with faculty mentoring as well as a student-focused learning environment.
- The Commission on Collegiate Nursing Education (CCNE)certifies Westminster College’s BS in Nursing training program.
- The undergraduate nursing training program readies professional nurse generalists whose liberal arts and also professional education allows them to fulfill the healthcare needs of the community and to continue life-long personal and also professional development. To this end, the training program offers a major in nursing leading to a Bachelor of Science degree.
- The training program was created to serve the learning requirements of undergraduate students. Graduates of the training program meet the criteria to take the national licensing exam for Registered Nurses (NCLEX-RN).
- The nursing training program encompasses an ever-changing routine of lab simulations and also classroom discussions that coach you on to think appropriately, you prepare ahead. Professors aren’t there to lecture—they are there to coach and also a mentor. In fact, every student is designated a faculty advisor who checks in regularly to make sure students have what they need to succeed.
- Their faculty is student-focused, not focused on research and also grant writing. This enables them to create an atmosphere that inspires meaningful discussions, practical learning, and critical thinking. A 4-semester curriculum includes courses set up to improve student learning with additional simulation, labs, and also clinical experiences.
About the school
- Westminster College is a non-public liberal arts college situated in the Sugar House neighborhood of Salt Lake City, Utah, United States Of America.
- The school comprises of four schools: the Bill and Vieve Gore School of Business, the School of Arts and Sciences, the School of Education, along with the School of Nursing and Health Sciences.
- It is the only certified liberal arts college in the state of Utah. The school was founded in 1875.
Total estimated cost of attendance is approximately $21,000
Following are the minimum requirements for BSN Nursing Program. Minimum admission standards include:
Admission and Prerequisite Support Course Requirements
Students who qualify for admission to Westminster College can declare a pre-nursing major. Students apply to progress into nursing courses after completing the prerequisite support classes with a grade of C or higher, including the WCore courses, WCSBS 104 or WCSBS 114 or WCSBS 207. Students who have a minimum cumulative grade point and prerequisite grade point of 2.80 on a 4.0 scale in both the prerequisite and general education courses will be considered for admission to the undergraduate nursing program. Please refer to the chart for a complete list of required prerequisite coursework. Applicants for the undergraduate nursing program who meet eligibility requirements will be required to complete an interview as part of the overall application process. This process will be in effect for those applying to begin the nursing program in Spring of 2018
All nursing students are encouraged to take the Math Placement Test upon entering Westminster College in order to determine if additional coursework in mathematics is necessary prior to enrolling in DATA 220.
Application to the Nursing Program
In addition to applying for admission to Westminster College, students apply to progress into the Nursing Program. Acceptance is determined by the Nursing Program’s Admission and Progression Committee, which bases its decisions on the following criteria:
- Completion of all prerequisite courses with a grade of C or better and an average GPA of 2.80 or higher; cumulative GPA from all institutions of higher education attended of at least 2.80.
- Three completed recommendation forms from professionals indicating qualifications for success in nursing. Examples include employers, professors, instructors, or teachers.
- Previous enrollment at Westminster College is beneficial to qualified applicants.
- A typed letter of intent, which includes statements related to the candidate’s skills and qualifications. The letter is evaluated on content, clarity, motivation to become a nurse, spelling, and grammar.
- Applicants to the nursing program are required to obtain necessary screening through a certified background check company as a part of their application. The applicant will agree to release all of the required information from the certified background check company to the dean of the nursing program. The certified background check must be free of criminal arrest history. If there is a criminal arrest history, arrests must be expunged prior to submission of the application. Drug test results must be negative.
- Ability to meet the State of Utah Student Nurse Physical Demands Policy requirements.
- Prerequisites courses: BIOL 103 Human Anatomy and Lab (4)—offered fall
BIOL 104 Human Physiology and Lab (4)—offered spring
BIOL 111 Clinical Microbiology and Lab (4)
CHEM 103 Introduction to Chemistry and Lab (4)
CHEM 201 Organic and Biochemistry (4)
DATA 220 Introduction to Statistics (4)–*Must be taken prior to enrollment in junior-level nursing courses. Completing additional credit hours for math coursework may be necessary prior to enrolling in this course.
Address: 1840 S 1300 E, Salt Lake City, UT 84105, USA
Submit your review