So, I get asked this question a lot and I have been thinking of putting together a nice guide that can help my fellow nurses set up a blog or a money making website.
Most people may not even realize that this website is actually a blog that I started after nursing school and I have been working on it ever since. I even called my Facebook page – I am a Nurse.
How I started off
All I wanted to do with my blog and my Facebook page is have discussions with nurses around the world, just for fun and learning.
Through blogging and Facebook page, I have met really amazing people in nursing world. Some have made me live my dreams as a nurse. I have literally out-earned my annual nursing pay with a blog.
What kind of a blog should you start?
It doesn’t have to be a nursing blog. It could be any topic or subject you feel you have quality content to offer. One of my blogging student was computer science expert before he became a nurse. He has been blogging about medical technology integration and his articles have been featured even on Forbes.
I asked him if I could share but he doesn’t want to share because he still work for a hospital.
There are many areas you can blog about – you are your own limit. I will cover blogging ideas later.
Most importantly, before you even start a blog, you have to answer the following personal questions:
- Can you type and put together an article that is above 750 words?
- Is there a topic you consider yourself knowledgeable about? Think about a pediatric nurse running a blog about baby safety tips for moms. Think about a home-health nurse running a blog about aging-related care at home and in nursing homes. The potential is huge!
- Can you publish a new blog article at least once a week or every other week? More often is better but we will get there.
- Do you have friends you can share with – be it on Facebook, email or whichever means you would like
- Would you like to have passive income (depending on what your blog is about) to help you pay off debts or just have a better life?
If any of the above or most of the above sounds like something you can do, let’s get started. Let’s make money blogging.
Good Ideas for Nursing Blogs
- NCLEX review related blog
- Nursing School related blog
- Nursing Education related blog
- Online Nursing Schools/Programs
- BLS & ACLS related blog – Huge earning potential
- EKG interpretation blog
- Nursing shoe blog –Trendy
- Parenting related blog – HUGE
- Special needs children advise blog – Huge
- Diabetes Nursing blog
These are just a few related to nursing. You do not have to be limited to nursing. Another one of my nurse blogger students blogs about tools & hardware. He did over $1 million in 2016 in gross sales. He still works full time and blogs on his days off.
You can do this!
Step by Step Guide on How to Start a Blog
I am going to share step by step foolproof guide on how you can start a blog, start building content and audience and eventually make money.
Are You Ready?
Step 1: Get a Domain Name & Web Hosting:
This is a must have and it is not optional. I will explain what it is exactly.
A domain name is like your cellphone number. That number is yours and you can move it from one carrier to another. It identifies you as long as you keep it active. Same thing as a domain name. Example of a domain name is – Nursingpub.com, Google.com, Medicare.gov,
Domain names have the .com part, .Net, .Gov, etc. In your case, aim to get a .dom domain name.
How to select a good domain name
- Make sure the domain name you choose is memorable – easy to remember. The easier it is to remember, the easier it is your users will recommend it to others – the more the traffic you will get.
- Avoid using numbers and hyphens. Use a single word as your domain name. Avoid using domain names like diabetes-nursing-tips.com instead, use diabetesnursingtips.com – just as an example
- Make it easy to pronounce for your audience. If you are writing for the American audience, use words an American can pronounce and remember. Unless you have a lot of money to build brand names like xarelto.com. Think about how hard it is to pronounce versus to type that name but since drugs companies have billions to spend on branding, they have hammered that word over and over again that you can remember it. Don’t do this.
- Make it as fewer characters as possible. This goes with making it easy to pronounce and remember.
- Do not use already existing brand names or you find yourself in legal tussles. Example, do not use domains like Fresiniusmachinetips.com. Fresenius is a registered trademark of a dialysis machine.
- Try and have one keyword on your domain name. If you are talking about diabetes, try to create a domain name that uses the word diabetes. Example: Diabetesnursingtips.com
Web Hosting is like your cell phone service carrier. Examples in USA, AT&T, Verizon, etc. Your web hosting company is where your blog/website data is stored.
To differentiate domain name and web hosting, a domain name is like your phone number that you can move from one carrier to another. Web hosting is like your current phone service carrier. You use your telephone carrier network to make calls and surf the web.
Your website or blog is displayed to the world by your web host.
Companies to Avoid in Web Hosting.
If you live in the USA, you may have heard about godaddy hosting, and wix.com website builder. The problem with these mega companies is that they do not have personalized customer touch. It is like calling AT&T customer service. They do not have time for you – little person.
Do not go to those companies, no matter how well you remember their names all over the TV. You’ll regret but ….
I Have Good News:
Just like your phone carrier can give you a new phone number, the same thing applies to web hosting. Domain names cost an average of $10/year but I have worked a partnership with Bluehost to give you very cheap web hosting and a free domain name.
Once you sign up with BlueHost only, I will personally help you install your blogging software for free.
Yes, once you have created a hosting account, I will personally install WordPress blogging software for you and set it up so that you can start blogging right away – No cost
So, What is WordPress?
In your computer right now, you have software like Microsoft word, excel, Chrome, etc. These software pieces allow you to specific tasks.
WordPress is the world simplest and leading blogging software. It is so simple that if you have an email account that you operate, you can blog with WordPress. It is that simple.
WordPress, just like composing an email, requires you to enter the subject and the content of your blog. Once you are done, you clock on publish button and Boom! You are done publishing a blog post.
WordPress blogging software is built with a clean code that other extensions can be built on. Search engines like google love WordPress, probably more than any other blogging platform.
Putting it All Together: Start a WordPress on BlueHost
- Pick up a hosting package with Bluehost. The basic package for $2.95/month is probably all you need to get started. This cheap package also comes with free domain name. Meaning, you get it all together for $2.95/month. That’s the cheapest in the market.
- Once you have signed up for a hosting account with free domain name, log into your hosting account. You will see a page that looks like this image.
- Click on install WordPress onto your new hosting account. You will be asked to fill in basic information like blog name and email address. Make sure your email address is accurate. Set up your password and click install.
- If you cannot do this step, once you have signed up for a bluehost account, I can help you install it. It is not that hard to do. I can do it for you but I will only do it on BlueHost.
Once you have signed up for a hosting account, I will show you exactly how to make money blogging. I will show you the methods that I use to generate as much as a nurse makes in a year in just 2-3 months. Yup. So easy.
Get your own hosting account, we install a WordPress blog and from there, you will learn as you do it, one on one until you can be successful.