- The goal of the Betty E. Smith School of Nursing at Grambling State University baccalaureate program is to prepare graduates to undertake the roles of beginning practitioners of professional nursing.
- This is consistent with the aim of Grambling State University, which specifies that education is the foundation of a creative, enlightened, and productive society.
- The Betty E. Smith School of Nursing at Grambling State University is endorsed by Louisiana State Board of Nursing
About the school
- Grambling State University (abbreviated GSU) is located in Grambling, Louisiana.
- It is a historically black, public, coeducational university and home of College to former head football coach Eddie Robinson, Football Hall of Fame inductee.
- Grambling State University is a member-school of the University of Louisiana System and Thurgood Marshall College Fund.
- Grambling State was established in 1901 and accredited in 1949.
Total estimated cost of attendance is approximately $30,740
Following are the minimum requirements for BSN Nursing Program. Minimum admission standards include:
Betty E. Smith School of Nursing is a professional program identified in the College of Professional and Graduate Studies. Admission to the professional component is not automatic. Students who declare their major as nursing will be identified as a pre-nursing student. The prenursing student must meet all pre-nursing requirements before applying to the professional component of the program.
Applicants for admission to pre-nursing program must meet general admission requirement for admission to the University and an application must be submitted to University Admissions Office.
- Professional Component
Admission to the professional component is not automatic and is dependent on students meeting specific requirements. Students are required to adhere to all guidelines as presented in this document. Students who do not meet all pre-nursing requirements and who do not follow all guidelines as set forth in this document will be ineligible for the professional component.
The following requirements must be met to be eligible for the professional component:
- Be admitted or currently enrolled at Grambling State University.
- Submit admissions application packet by the date indicated or posted.
- Submit OFFICIAL transcripts from all colleges and universities attended to the School of Nursing office and GSU Registrar’s office by April 1 st for Fall admission or October1 st for Spring admission.
- Complete all required pre-nursing courses with no grade lower than a “C.” (The highest grade earned in a course that is taken more than once will be used. All courses must be taken within five years of admission.)
- Earn a grade point average (GPA) of at least 2.75 on a 4.00 scale in all pre-nursing courses.
- Earn a GPA of at least 2.75 on a 4.00 scale in all math and science pre-nursing courses including NUR 205 Pharmacology and NUR 225 Pathophysiology. The highest grade earned in a science course that is taken no more than twice will be used. (Courses taken within the last five years of admission will be considered.)
- Two failures (D, or F) in the same required science course disqualifies a student for admission. When a student has receives a grade of D or F in three (3) required science courses, the student is not eligible for admission to the professional program. The School of Nursing does not recognize academic renewal, amnesty or bankruptcy. All previous grades are considered.
- Pass a standardized pre-nursing admission exam. (Beginning Fall 2013) a. Pre-Nursing students must achieve a passing score on the pre-nursing admission exam to be considered for admission into the professional component of the nursing program. b. Once students achieve the acceptable score on the pre-nursing admission exam, all other admission requirements to the professional component of the nursing program will be considered. c. The student is allowed one testing attempt per semester; two attempts total d. The Admissions Test fee is a non-refundable fee of 30 dollars per enrollment. e. Mandatory registration for the pre-nursing entrance exam is required the semester prior to the exam. f. April 1st for Fall , October 1st for Spring
- Be in academic good standing and not on disciplinary probation. 10. Pass a drug screen and background check. 11. Be cleared by LSBN without stipulations/restrictions or pending stipulations/restrictions
Grambling State University
Address: 403 Main Street Grambling, Louisiana 71245
Phone: (318) 247-3811 Toll-free: 1-800-569-4714
Submit your review