Birth control pills AKA Oral Contraceptives (OCs) have been blammed for a lot of health problems. Most of these health related issues are just myths and evidence based research has ruled them out.
The following is a fascinating list of 10 facts about oral contraceptives: –
1. Birth control pills won’t make you gain weight. While maternal hormones like progesterone is associated with weight gain during pregnancy, progesterone based OCs does not cause weight gain.
2. Combination OCs (estrogen/progestin) can prevent ectopic (tubal)
3. Oral contraceptives can help prevent ovarian cysts, endometrial cancer and
colon cancer. They cannot prevent sexually transmitted infections.
4. Using OCs in your 30s could help prevent hip fracture later in life.
5. Oral contraceptives can prevent heavy bleeding during your period and
reduce the risk of iron-deficiency anemia.
6. Oral contraceptives can reduce the risk of ovarian cancer, including some
hereditary forms associated with mutations in the BRCA1 and BRCA2 genes.
7. There are no serious medical consequences to skipping periods by using
birth control pills as continuous contraception.
8. There is a chewable birth control pill, Femcon Fe, that includes seven days of
pills that contain iron.
9. Today, more than 40 different OC brands are available to U.S. women.
10. Oral contraceptives may not be for you if you are over 35 and smoke, are
overweight or obese, have diabetes or hypertension or a personal or family
history of clotting disorders.